The School was founded in 1953 by Miss Barth at 18 Lee Road, Kolkata. In 1970, under West Bengal Society’s Regulation Act, Calcutta International School was formed. In 2006, CIS shifted to its sprawling new campus at Anandapur, Eastern Metropolitan Bypass, Kolkata.
Originally a small institution exclusively for the children of the expatriate British community, the school evolved to become a highly reputed institution providing academic and extra mural education under Miss Barth. She was decorated with an OBE for her relentless dedication to the institution.
Today, CIS is a school with pupils from 17 nationalities who have come from different parts of the world as well as the local community. Priority is given to the children of expatriates, foreign passport holders and NRIs.